The Holy Dormition Svyatogorsky Monastery is located in the Pskov region of Russia, township of Pushkinskiye (Saint) Gory.
It was founded by the order of Tsar Ivan IV the Terrible in 1569 and since ancient times it has been the part of the most revered monasteries in Russia.
The main holy of the monastery is the icon of Virgin Hodegetria, which according to the legend was discovered in about 1566 by shepherd Timothy on the hills around the city Voronich.
Among a lot of gifts of kings and nobles, kept in the monastery, there was 15-pood bell granted by Ivan the Terrible, which was called Goryunov, and the Gospel - the gift of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich. Today you can see fragments of the bell which was ordered by Abbot Innocent, and made at the factory of Tulenev in Moscow in 1753.
Since the XIX century the monastery was inseparably associated with the name of the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. While living in the village of Mikhailovskoye, not far from the monastery, the poet came here during the moments of creative research and for a bow to tombs of the ancestors, whose memory he faithfully valued.
The monastery is surrounded by an ancient stone wall. There are two gates which lead to the monastery - the Holy gate, or Pyatnitskiye, which have been previously lost at Pyatnitskaya church, and Anastasevskiye (after the name of unpreserved Anastasevskaya chapel, located at the entrance to the monastery). Close to Holy Gates there is the home of Abbot, built in 1911. Nikolsky Gate (named after the lost Nicholas Church) lead from the Holy yard to the black (shopping) courtyard of the monastery. Next to Anastasevskaya old stone gate there is a stone attic for the gatekeeper.Two Stone stairs lead to the Assumption Cathedral and the family cemetery of Hannibals - Pushkins. Two chapels were added to the ancient Church of the Dormition in the XVIII century - Pokrovsky and Odigitrievsky. In Odigitrievsky chapel there stood the coffin of Alexander Pushkin at the night before the burial, and there is his tomb here.
In 1924, the monastery was closed by the Soviet authorities. Many monastic buildings were severely damaged during the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945. Others, like St. Nicholas Church, were completely destroyed.
The Assumption Cathedral was rebuilt in 1949.
In 1992 the The Holy Dormition Svyatogorsky Monastery was returned to indefinite and gratuitous use of the Russian Orthodox Church. On the 29th of May with the participation of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II there were solemnly resumed his services in the Assumption Cathedral.
There are 25 monks and novices who live in the monastery. Currently, the monastery has been completely restored and it is taking pilgrims and visitors.The Holy Dormition Svyatogorsky Monastery is a cultural monument of federal significance and is protected by Russian state.
Since 2000, the abbot (hegumen) of the monastery is Archimandrite Macarius (Alexandr Borisovich Shvayko)
Our contacts and payment details for donations:
1, Pushkinskaya str., Pushkinskiye Gory , Pskov region , 181370, Russia
tel./fax: +7 (81146) 2-33-89
tel.: +7 (81146) 2-36-28